Friday, January 18, 2013

Neurotic About Tomatoes


I am someone who keeps corn kernels, corn grits, and two different brands of corn meal/flour on hand depending on what I’m going to make. Arrowhead Mills corn meal is best for pancakes and corn bread. But Bob’s Red Mill corn flour is best for buttermilk spoon bread. Then I have medium ground corn meal (Bob’s Red Mill) to sprinkle into greased baking pans and to combine with grits to give them a smoother texture (I use one cup minus 2-3 tablespoons of Bob's Red Mill grits, and complete the cup with 2-3 tablespoons of medium grind corn meal).  And then I have Arrowhead Mills organic popping corn which we use for popcorn, or grind in the Vita-Mix to make grits and flour if I run out.

So it shouldn’t surprise you that I use three brands of diced tomatoes – Del Monte diced tomatoes, Del Monte organic diced tomatoes, and Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes – depending on the recipe. 

See, the reason I use Del Monte regular AND organic is because ever since I lived in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, I’ve gotten used to a particular taste of plain marinara sauce, that I could never recreate at home, until I started using Del Monte's regular diced tomatoes. (The recipe is below.) This recipe does not taste right to me if I use any other type of canned tomato. But when I make other dishes that just call for a can of diced tomatoes or just chopped tomatoes, I use Del Monte organic tomatoes. 

Why Del Monte? Just, I shop at Costco and buy them by the box. I have to thank Costco, because this is how I discovered I could duplicate that sauce, FINALLY!

As for Muir Glen, well, they are just the best canned tomatoes around and their fire-roasted tomatoes make rice and chicken and bean soups taste amazing, so of course I have to use them, too.

Btw, to make your own roasted tomatoes that taste like really good Italian canned tomatoes, just preheat the oven to 325F and slice compari tomatoes in half, and place in (greased or nonstick) roasting pan, cut side down. Roast for 45 minutes and the skins come right off, and the tomatoes taste delicious in everything.

Plain Marinara Sauce

From a recipe found in Cook’s Illustrated

3 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, preferable Del Monte regular, NOT organic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 generous tablespoon)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
Table salt and ground black pepper

Process 2 cans diced tomatoes in food processor until almost smooth, about 5 seconds. Heat olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and garlic is light golden, about 2-3 minutes; stir in processed and remaining can of diced tomatoes. Bring sauce to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and reduced, about 15 minutes. Stir in basil and if needed, season to taste with salt and pepper. (I never add salt or pepper to this recipe, it is perfect as-is, to me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment