Friday, September 28, 2012

Older and Wiser?


I got married to a great guy in March of 2008. In April, he went for a physical and found out he was anemic. After a colonoscopy they determined that he should stop eating that thing, that thing that is in everything -- GLUTEN.

Luckily, I knew something about this. I had been trained at The Natural Gourmet Cookery School, which taught us what to do if we had a client with celiac.  If you think about everything we eat, you quickly realize that wheat flour is the packing-peanuts of our food industry, so you have to be careful. 

But back in 2000, when I graduated, gluten-free bread was gross.

I decided to look into making gluten-free stuff that didn’t come from the grocery store with freezer burn. I purchased a cookbook, Gluten-Free Baking Classics (after trying a couple books that weren't so good) and we found out that some baked goods, like scones, are lighter, more crumbly and delicious gluten-free!

Yay!

Or so we thought. 20 lbs. heavier later, we realized that the large amounts of potato starch and corn starch in gluten-free baking means that they are NOT better for you. Even if you spread homemade peanut butter on the bread and use sugar-free jam. And me, who used to pig out on anything and never gain weight, is looking at closet full of clothes I can't fit into. :(

So I got to work, creating healthier gluten-free delights that are whole grain and full of fiber. And, transforming our home into a place where we grow our own herbs and vegetables, with storage places to stash our bulk orders for things that we couldn't find nearby, like superfine brown rice flour.

But to tell you the truth, even though Stop n Shop has more healthy options than ever, we still have to drive all over to get some ingredients. And ordering in bulk means I'm stuck with a year's worth of stuff I can barely find room for in our little cottage.

I thought, what if we had a food co-op in Somerville? What if we could save money by getting together as a community and having purchasing power to save money and not be controlled by Whole Foods? What if we could share recipes and ideas for tasty dishes, so we're not looking at a plate of flavorless fiber in order to be healthy? What if we started out, just talking and getting together, and eventually became a thriving community?

In this blog, I'm going to show and tell how my husband and I are getting healthier every day, in Somerville, Massachusetts. And I would love it if our fellow Somervillians would lend ideas...please write! And maybe contribute a post or two? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment